If you have a problem with some of your teeth, such as chips, fractures, gaps or other issues then the dentist may suggest that you allow them to put porcelain veneers over your natural teeth. Porcelain veneers are great because they go over your teeth and give you replacements that are strong, natural looking and not as invasive as some of the other dental treatment options. There are some things you should know about porcelain veneers, so you are prepared to deal with everything that comes with getting them and the things you have to be aware of once you have them. Here is some helpful information on veneers:
- Veneers can be expensive to have put in
- One of the things you want to prepare yourself for is the cost. They tend to be a bit more pricey than traditional crowns, bonding and some of the other choices you may be able to pick between. However, many find that the cost is worth it due to the good features veneers have.
- Veneers are still susceptible to breaking just as your natural teeth are
- Don't make the mistake of thinking that porcelain veneers are going to give you chompers with super-strength. Even though they are strong and put in place by your dentist, you still need to be just as cautious with them as you have to be with your own teeth. They can still become damaged in all the ways your teeth can and they can also come out if you put them under extra stress. The positive is, they do have a good amount of strength to them as long as you respect them the way you should do all of your teeth.
- Veneers will stain when exposed to the wrong things
- You don't want to continue on with things like smoking or drinking a lot of coffee when you have veneers. They can stain and they won't be able to be whitened like real teeth. However, when you have them put in, you can go with a totally whiter smile altogether if you are having them put on all the teeth visible when talking and smiling! Your dentist can help you choose the best color, so while they are white they still look natural against your own complexion.
- Veneers are made to order
- Depending on how many teeth you are getting veneers put on, it can be a chance to change the shape of your teeth if you have always wished yours were different. They can bring your teeth closer together, make them longer, make them straighter or change other things you may not like.
Contact a dentist, such as Michael G Landy DDS, for more help.