If you're looking to improve your smile and replace several missing teeth, you've likely looked at having dental implants installed in your mouth. However, while implants have a lot of benefits, there are still a number of reasons to opt for dentures instead of implants to improve your smile and your oral health.
1. Less invasive. Having dental implants installed is a very invasive procedure. First, any existing teeth need to be pulled. Then, after those wounds have healed, the titanium anchors need to be surgically installed in your mouth. That procedure takes from six to eight weeks to heal. Only then can the porcelain crowns be fitted atop the titanium anchors. Dentures can be fitted directly as soon as your mouth heals from pulling any necessary teeth.
2. Less expensive. Dentures are much less expensive than dental implants. A single implant can cost between $1,000 and $4,000, while an entire set of dentures averages around $1,300, obviously a big difference. In most cases, health insurance does not cover the cost of either dentures or implants. While dental insurance will pay a portion of such devices, there is generally a yearly maximum on dental insurance policies, which can leave you with a heavy bill that you have to cover personally.
3. Takes less time from start to finish. The process of getting dentures takes just a few weeks, compared to several months to get dental implants.
4. Last a long time. While dentures are not as durable as implants, with proper care, they can last a decade or more. Depending on your age when you have them made, that may be enough time. If you outlive your dentures, you can simply have another pair created.
5. Improve general health. Dentures can help to keep your mouth from sinking, as it might without teeth to support it. In addition, dentures make it easy to eat the foods you love, helping to promote good nutrition. What's more, for those with fragile health, getting dentures fitted is less likely to lead to health complications than the full oral surgery required to have dental implants installed.
While dentures may not be the right choice for everyone looking to improve their smile, dentures are less expensive, require less invasive procedures, and give you a beautiful smile in much less time than it takes to complete the process of installing dental implants. Contact a company like Pinon Hills Dental to learn more.